Fermented foods, rich in probiotics and nutrients, perfectly support our gut health and immunity. The fermentation process makes food more digestible, and enhances and makes the nutrients within it easier for our bodies to absorb. All this while effectively and safely preserving food and delivering a tangy flavour that is like no other.
Fermentation is simply amazing and this age old process is now receiving renewed interest as we celebrate all of the benefits that consuming fermented foods has to offer including gut support and plant diversity.
These real and alive foods are the perfect antidote to the sterilised and ultra-processed products that dominate the food environment today.
Fermentation is incredibly inexpensive and easy to do at home and there is huge satisfaction that comes with cracking the lid on a jar of something you have made from scratch to be enjoyed year-round.
Included in this hands-on workshop:
- An introduction to fermentation, including the history and health benefits
- An introduction to the gut microbiome and it's importance to our health plus the role that fermented foods play
- The step by step process of wild fermentation where you will leave inspired and confident to start fermenting on your own
- Equipment - you don't need any fancy equipment to begin fermenting - just a glass jar, however we will show you all the whizz bang equipment that is out there that can make the process easier.
- Get your hands stuck into making your own jars of sauerkraut to take home. You will do the entire process from start to finish (twice!) and make two 1L jars flavoured to your liking. We have some super ideas to add a bit of zing to your kraut with various flavours.
- The aim of this workshop is to get really confident with the process of fermenting with a focus on sauerkraut. Rather than packing in many different ferments and overwhelming you, we have found that mastering this first step provides the knowledge and confidence to go on and experiment with other ferments in the future - trust us on this!
- Tea and coffee, plus brunch or afternoon tea
- Printed notes and recipes.
Please bring an apron if you have one and a bag or box to take your jars of kraut home.